Sunday 28 December 2008

Spa 2 Summit or Summit 2 Spa

Some discussion that it might be better to do the walk from PyF to Cheltenham rather than the other way round. I can see pros and cons to both:
Spa 2 Summit:
+ Sounds better, having the hill at the end.
+ Better nights sleep before setting off.
- 2 miles from the top of PyF to the car, at the end of 70 miles, could be a soul-crusher.
-Harder to get coverage at the end of the walk.
- The really tough stuff is at the end, which could be a killer. (Do not underestimate PyF, they train the SAS on it!)

Summit 2 Spa
+ Finish in town gives better coverage.
+ The Tavern is 100 yards from where we will finish.
+ An easier (relatively speaking) finish offers the potential to make up time.
- Sleeping in a van, or on top of the hill means not so much sleep.
- Either carrying the sleeping kit with us, or having the support team do it.

I don't think it makes too much difference what sections we do in the dark so that evens out across both options.

I've posted a poll on the blog, please vote and help us decide!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as a non-combatant, from my comfy seat in logistical operations ;) etc etc - I don't think you can beat spa to summit.
    1) you can't start on a downhill, pah!
    2) people may join you for the final assent, jeering, *cough* I mean cheering you on
    3) mucks up my DVD watching in the support-copter
    4) less cool! ...hard to define, but you know I'm right
    5) getting bored of myself now....should be working...
    6) Bryan Adams has done some great songs, right??? anyone???

    J

    ReplyDelete