Wednesday 7 January 2009

Baby Steps

Walking. I've done it for years. Unfortunately that's where the problem lies.

Because we've all been doing it for ages we tend to think we're experts in it. For example, I'm 8 years older than my girlfriend - does that mean I'm a better walker than her? I've seen her walk, she does it really well! Further examples include people in their 70s and 80s - with their experience they should be much better at walking than I am but some of them are rubbish at it, I've seen them. I overtake most of them when I walk through town.

So when the Spa2Summit challenge wafted past my ears, with its 70-odd miles of walking I thought it'd be a doddle, something I actually knew how to do. I'll prove it: to walk I always apply the following procedure: 1) extend right leg forward past left leg, 3) bring left leg forward past right leg, 4) repeat. Admittedly there are alternatives to these instructions and intricate flourishes that can be added (depending on the confidence and experience of the participant) but I find these basic principles have always helped me. I subtly asked Pete if anyone else could join in with his plans and he said yes so here I am.

I love walking. When visiting a new town or city there's no better way to take in its sights, smells and atmosphere than to ignore its public transport and set about it on foot. The same applies to rural areas, the awesomeness of this planet can only truly hit home when you're right there looking at it, smelling it, covering yourself in it and wiping it off the sole of your boot. Plus, distance and fatigue almost disappear while nature entertains you. For this reason, I think we can psychologically knock some of those 70 miles off the total.

Having said that, as time has gone by the realisation that what we're undertaking is actually very difficult has sunk in. Seventy miles is a long way to walk at the best of times but in a straight 36-or-whatever hours?! Up and down gradients?! In the company of Grant?! ;) 

Hannibal led elephants over the Alps but can Pete lead us even out of Cheltenham? The training starts here...

2 comments:

  1. I got a mention! :) I didn't know you guy s were doing it for MacMillon!

    Go you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking knock some miles off for being entertained by nature, add some on for being entertained by Adlarddo..?

    ReplyDelete