Sunday 21 June 2009

I tend to underestimate a lot...

Ken has given a fantastic account of the S2S experience in his blog below so this really comes as an addendum to that.

I've noticed through this whole experience that I underestimate a lot of things.

I underestimated how long this would take and how hard it would be. When Ken suggested the Spa2summit route, I said that we should bang it out in 24 hours as this would attract more attention. Fortunately Ken was (as always) the voice of reason and we compromised on 36 hours. Thank goodness for Ken. Getting to that final cairn on the summit after 35 hours and 23 minutes was the hardest thing I've ever done and I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, believe me.

I underestimated the draining effects of walking at night in the rain. That section was absolutely soul destroying and I'm so proud that we carried on despite the rain, dark and cold.

I underestimated the joy of seeing it get light. After that harsh night section, it was so wonderful when it started to get light, I felt like I was being re-energised just by the fact that it was getting lighter.

I underestimated the feeling of seeing Chris run past me. We were so near the end and could see Pen-Y-Fan looming towards us but the time was running short. I was panicking (I do this well) and tried pushing the lads to move faster but I knew that we were already giving everything they had and couldn't do anymore. I was at the front with my head down, genuinely thinking that we would miss our 36 hour deadline by just a few minutes and felt awful about it.

Then Chris ran past me.

I looked behind me and Grant and Ollie were running too. I was so filled with pride, ready to burst, and started to run too. We ran about half a mile and then realised that we'd make it. This will always be one of the defining moments of my life and I owe Chris, Ollie and Grant for that. Thank you boys.

I underestimated how great my friends really are. There is absolutely no way we could have done what we did without Jonty, Luke, Marky, Becky, Mel, Esther, Kath, Jamie and all the others who supported us. It was so wonderful to walk up to a rest stop, be directed to a chair, have my backpack taken from me and refilled, be given a cup of tea and some food, have my legs stretched and get some fantastic encouragement. Bear in mind that our support team didn't get any sleep either as they were serving us through the night but they were still as encouraging and efficient on the last stop as they had been on the first.

So many of our friends raised money for us too. Lavina, Grant's mum, very early on took flyers and collection tubs to get money out of her workmates. It seems that Chris's parents, Pat and Mike, strong armed everyone they came into contact with to donate to us. Esther and Jamie got their workmates to sponsor them to walk a stint with us. I don't know what Mat Hollands has been doing (something's are better left unsaid) but he's raised a fortune from his friends and colleagues. I know that many others have been doing the same for us and I'm sure that there are many that I don't know about.

And as for Ken, Chris, Grant and Ollie, I don't know what to say. Those guys are amazing. We did something ridiculously hard to support a charity who I had a personal reason to support, but hadn't had an effect on their lives. But Ken accepted me hijacking his good idea and making it really tough. Grant, Ollie and Chris asked us if they could join, not the other way round. And with their help, we've raised thousands for people who really need it.

I underestimated how much I'd miss of my dad. I've always enjoyed challenges, half marathons, adventure races, rock climbing, canoeing in the Amazon etc. I like that sort of thing, keeps you on your toes. But when I did some challenge, particularly an outdoor thing, the first person I'd call would be my dad. He would always be so excited for me, even if it was something he wasn't that interested in. I was gutted that I couldn't call him when I got to the top.

I did Spa2summit for him.

I will never be able to fully express my gratitude to everyone who was involved with Spa2summit, so please imagine that the following words are 1000 feet high.

Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment