Wednesday 24 June 2009

The Summities!!

Hello everyone, it's taken me a few days to recover from our adventure..... and since then, others have written their accounts and experiences much more eloquently than I'll be able to cobble together (if you haven't read Pete's or Ken's blog posting yet, I wholeheartedly recommend a read) Therefore, to save you readers getting bored, and having to hear about the "issues" I faced with Carbohydrates during Spa2summit, instead I have dragged up the idea of a one time only Spa2summit awards ceremony. THE SUMMITIES!! -They are a bit like the Oscars, with a much smaller budget and more importantly gives me a perfect segue into my thank yous for this epic walk. Hopefully this may give you a small incite into some of the stories others may not really have mentioned. Shall we begin?

The first award is the "Special Dedication Award". Whilst there were many nominations for this category, the moment Ken started cutting holes in his rather new looking trainers with his Leatherman, there was only going to be one winner. He seemed to have more blister plasters on than skin, and he still inched onward. I couldn't believe it, so hats off to you! Then instead of being down about things outside of his control, he then clicked into Mr Support Crew mode and helped us boys ever onward.

Next is the "Insanely Determined Award", and if Mr Bodington could come up and collect his award please? Sufficient to say we were all exhausted by the time we saw Talybont Reservoir, yet you would not believe the amount of focus Pete had as we drew close, of not only finishing this thing, but making it with time to spare. He encouraged, drove us on, and lead from the front despite the fact that he was just as tired as all the rest of us.

The 'How'd He Do That?!' Award is merited to Chris. 69 miles in and we are hitting the bottom of Pen-Y-fan. Chris' knees and hips are giving up the ghost, as he tells us everything seems to be jarring as he walks. I too had just started to give up hope of making it within 36 hours, and then I look up to see Chris break to fast walk, to a jog, into a proper run. He was the catalyst for the most insane half a mile of running I have ever done and so, from the bottom of my heart I have to ask, how on earth did you muster up that?!?!

Ah, next Award is for Ollie and this was an easy one to award him. The 'Mr Superman' Award. Please bear in mind that the other four Summiteers, had really put every effort to start on the best possible footing, early nights, foot prep etc. Ollie on the other hand, went down with a strong case of Man-flu on the day before, and yet didn't complain about feeling rough, he would sit down at a break, have some cold remedy along with his provisions and darn well carry on!! The other guys were creaking on Sunday at the post S2S BBQ, yet Ollie seemed as good as early Friday morning, and for that he can take this award home.

The 'Last Man Standing' Award is simple, that it should go to the person who remained the most vigilant through this. Jonty has been deemed the worthy winner, as he stayed alert and around for 44 hours straight before his head hit a well-earned pillow. You led the support crew from the front, and they all did an amazing job.

The next 'Summitie' has to be divided several ways. The 'Above and Beyond the Call of Duty' Award goes equally to our fantastic Support Crew. Luke and Marky at every stop ran round us, sorting drinks, tea, food provisions... everything! and at all times of the day! Becky and Mel also should be included as they helped no end with massages, common sense and determination, despite the fact that they arrived right after their secular work day ended! So thank you guys!

The 'Surprise of the Walk' Award too was a hotly contested one. Whether that be the stampeding bulls, the bottle of Champagne carried up by Gem Hollands to the summit, or indeed the 20 or so people who joined us at the summit. All were amazing, but for me it had to be the cheer from work colleagues as we passed by GCC. I know how much I had incessantly talked about S2S with some of them, but for 20 or so, and therefore a good proportion of the team to switch off the clock (which Lawyers very rarely do!), to take the time to come out and cheer us past was very much appreciated. Thank you Nigel, Sam etc for letting them do so and those who did.

The 'Almost Didn't Make it' Award is one that I need to pass out. Pete said something to me at the BBQ, saying "if it hadn't been for Esther B, (along with Cath and Jamie) I doubt you would have finished the walk." This was in no way meant harshly but was rather a true and telling statement, so I wanted to say cheers to them, this award is for you!

And finally...... the 'That's Typical!!' Award goes to my Mother!! I had dragged myself 70 miles, was absolutely flagging, only to be informed on the way down from the summit that my Mother, who suffers from vertigo whilst being only three steps up a ladder, had climbed the exceptionally steep assent to Corn Du (scrambled on hands and knees!), and Pen-Y-Fan to come and welcome us at the top. All I can say is whilst I was most proud, that's flippin' typical of my family!! Hahaha!!!!

Well done, and SERIOUSLY NOW - genuinely THANK YOU to everyone, both mentioned above and those who unfortunately I have omitted to mention, and to those who have kindly donated to Macmillan Cancer Support - for an amazing Spa2summit!

Cheers - Grant.


Please note:- that in the interest of Team harmony there was no winner declared of "The Yellow Car Game", as each of us are still determined that we respectively were the overall winner. Therefore may I suggest the game continues?...... !

1 comment: